Thursday, June 29, 2006

On the road to Digos, Mindanao....


....there are several roadside stands where wood trays are sold. The trays are carved into the shapes of pigs or fish, and are to be used for celebrations involving a roast suckling pig, a favorite among Filipinos. I stopped off at one and attracted a crowd when I asked them if they had any carved turtles that I could add to my collection - I think I must have over 50 turtles from around the world, in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and materials. They tried to sell me the eagle that I'm holding in the photo, but then they searched their huts and found one that was being used as a piggy bank and I felt a little guilty knowing that it was already in use and might belong to a child, but I don't think they felt any such guilt when I gave them cash for it. It's now in my office, next to the other turtles that I've picked up during travels in Sudan, Haiti, India, etc.

1 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should have taken the eagle! You are flying like one. The philippines still hold a special place in my heart. Thanks for helping them out. Your blog site is great. Keep up the wonderful work of the world. Hi to all. "Uncle Pat".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home