Friday, March 17, 2006

Erin Go Braugh!!

Happy St. Patricks' Day!

Always gives me pause to remember those ancestors who came before me. The Leary's and O'Connors from Cork and Kerry. Typical American Dream stuff--hard workers, laborers, really. "Poppy" O'Connor, my grandfather's father, was an iron molder and "had a fist that was like a block of cement." The struggled, worked hard, raised their kids, and watched as the next generation prospered and moved up the rungs on the American economic ladder.

My grandfather was the first in his family to buy a house. He sent both of his kids to college. Always worked two jobs and every holiday to earn the extra pay. When I got an offer for my first job out of college at a law firm in Manhattan, his first question was "how much they gonna pay ya?". I told him ($25k/yr.--this was 1993). He whistled and shook his head side to side "Oh you handy man--I never made that much money in a year in my life".

We'll raise a pint of Guiness to them all tonight.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son, Thanks for the memories--you got them all right. I'm so proud that you are proud of your heritage--humble as it was and is!!Makes me think we should write a book or maybe an article.....They are all happy with God and proud of their grandchildren and thrilled about their great and great-great grandchildren. Today is the feast day of St. Joseph--so Joe gets both feast days in 2 days..now back to the "blog"--if I can figure out how to do it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home