Thursday, March 16, 2006

Act Globally, Act Locally

I recently had an epiphany. Well, it wasn't that momentous, but anyway, I realized that I spend more time reading, analyzing, and oftentimes bitching about policies, politics, and the miscreants who practice both than I do actually putting energy into productive change.
So rather than just start another blog and become a permanent member of the chattering class, I decided to get involved. I started a group through a local community association whose goal is to provide basic home repair and landscaping services to needy people within our neighborhood. Six volunteers have responded to my call over the listserv and we have already identified one project. My goal is to do at least one project per quarter.

It's small, its local, and its impact will be the same. Here, Here!

3 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EWhat a wonderful idea--my missionary son!!!!Why am I not surprised. Don't stop the politics altogether, though---you are the hope of the future!!Mom

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id say thats a total revelation. Talk is cheap, but action is priceless. Usually it takes a personal crisis to make a jump from thought to action when it involves changing life habits. Kudos.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is super-cool, I wish I lived closer so I could join in; well let me know upcoming dates, maybe I could time it.
When I lived in DC, I worked on houses thru my office's Christmas in April renovation program; we had enough people to take on big projects that we'd tackle over the month of April, sometimes longer but it was GREAT, I loved the energy, what 20-30 people can get done in a day!
Rock on Eric.
clq

 

Post a Comment

<< Home